Trinity Hill ‘Homage’ Hawke’s Bay Syrah 2013

Syrah from New Zealand - Hawke's Bay
Review Date : 06-Oct-2015
Very dark, near saturated black-hued purple-red colour. The nose is very intense, but elegantly proportioned with a tightly bound and concentrated core of aromatic black berried fruits interwoven with an array of black and violet florals, and entwined with exotic herbs, Asian and Middle Eastern spices, liquorice and nutty elements. This is complex, detailed and absolutely refined with its depth and penetration. Medium-full bodied, the palate has elegance and concentration alongside intensity and depth. The flavours of ripe black berried fruits are seamlessly interwoven with an amazing spread of aromatics, showing waves of black and violet florals, spices, liquorice and complexing minerals. The fruit is supported by extremely refined, flowery tannins, the extraction and structure guiding the velvety flow. This has linearity, energy, drive and finesse, and the wine flows effortlessly to a concentrated, supple, refined and extended finish of black fruits, liquorice, spices and florals. This is a beautifully complex, refined, elegant and concentrated Syrah with black fruits, complexing detail and an amazing array of aromatics. Match with lamb, beef, venison and game meat, and semi-hard cheeses over the next 10-15+ years. 98.7% Syrah, predominantly MS clone from 18 y.o. vines and 1.3% Viognier, the fruit 85% from the Gimblett Gravels and 15% from ‘The Hillside’ vineyard behind the winery on Roys Hill. The fruit hand-picked and 70% destemmed leaving a high portion of whole berries, and 30% whole cluster, the wine fermented to 13.1% alc., spending 28 days on skins on average, and aged 12 months in predominantly new French oak barriques. 20.0/20 Oct 2015 RRP $120.00 Very dark, deep, black-hued purple red colour, a little lighter on rim. The nose is well-proportioned with impressively concentrated and deeply rich and ripe aromas of dark-red and black-berried fruits entwined with black pepper, Asian spices, iron-earth and minerals, unfolding an array of dark red, violet and black florals that blossom in volume and complexing detail. A little smoke and bacony oak emerges with aeration, showing the youthful componentry of the wine. Medium-full bodied, the palate features wonderfully rich and lusciously vibrant, aromatic dark red and black fruits melded with layers of black pepper, earth, minerals spices and florals. This has considerable extraction and structure, the tannins very fine-grained and powdery in texture. The extraction and grip are balanced with the fruit sweetness and aromatic opulence, providing great vitality, energy and drive. The wine carries with power to a very long and sustained, concentrated finish of sweet dark red and black fruit, spices and pepper. This is a superbly rich and concentrated Syrah with an array of complexing aromas and flavours, and a mouthfeel that combines considerable structure, with power, elegance and finesse. Match with low-cooked game meat dishes over the next 15-20 years. 98.7% Syrah, predominantly MS clone from 18 y.o. vines and 1.3% Viognier, the fruit 85% from the Gimblett Gravels and 15% from ‘The Hillside’ vineyard behind the winery on Roys Hill. The fruit hand-picked and 70% destemmed leaving a high portion of whole berries, and 30% whole cluster, the wine fermented to 13.1% alc., spending 28 days on skins on average, and aged 12 months in predominantly new French oak barriques. 20.0/20 Sep 2015 RRP $120.00

SUBSCRIBE
Latest wine reviews, news, events and more. 🍷
We respect your privacy.