Mudbrick Waiheke Island 2015 Rosé, 2014 ‘Velvet’ and Noble Riesling

21-Sep-2015
Nick and Robyn Jones established Mudbrick in 1992 and have steadily grown the Waiheke Island venture to become one of most wine and hospitality popular destinations. The estate vineyards provide around 36 tonnes of fruit to produce around 2,000 cases of Waiheke Island wine annually, but this is doubled by wine made and brought in from other regions. Winemaker Patrick Newton tells me they have taken a 10 year lease of a Waiheke Island vineyard on Seaview Road that will double Mudbrick’s Waiheke Island plantings, and the wine will be made under the ‘Mudbrick’ label. The plan is to top graft 40% of the acquired plants to Pinot Gris and Chardonnay, and the remaining 60% each going equally to rosé and table red production. He says: "Very exciting times!” Indeed! Here, I review, appropriately, the mew Rosé 2015, the generally undisclosed blended flagship ‘Velvet’ 2014, and ‘Reserve’ Noble Riesling 2014 from Marlborough fruit, which showcase the diversity of wines available under the brand. www.mudbrick.co.nz

FEATURED WINES IN THIS REVIEW

  • Mudbrick Waiheke Island Rosé 2015
  • Mudbrick ‘Velvet’ Waiheke Island 2014
  • Mudbrick ‘Reserve’ Marlborough Noble Riesling 2014

SUBSCRIBE
Latest wine reviews, news, events and more. 🍷
We respect your privacy.