BRILLA! Rosé Prosecco DOC 2020
BRILLA Rosé Prosecco DOC is as pleasing to the eyes as much as it is to taste. Its beautiful textural bottle with a sparkly label is reminiscent of diamonds.
It’s produced from Glera and Pinot Nero (Pinot Noir) grown on clay and sandstone soils in Veneto, home to the Prosecco DOC, and made by the Charmat method, which means secondary fermentation takes place in pressurised stainless steel tanks. Once the secondary fermentation is complete, the wine is then filtered and bottled under pressure. The Charmat method is also known as 'Tank method', ‘Methode Cuve Close' and 'Methode Charmat-Martinotti'.
Prosecco Rosé has been produced for a long time and labelled as Vino Spumante di Qualità. Rosé Prosecco DOC was introduced in 2020 as a vintage-dated wine. In order to label Prosecco DOC as Rosé, producers will have to follow specific rules:
- Grape varieties: Glera and 10%-15% Pinot Nero (vinified as a red wine for colouring)
- Yields: 18 tons/hectare for Glera and 13.5 tons/hectare for Pinot Nero
- Second fermentation – Martinotti/Charmat Method: minimum of 60 days
- Sales will be allowed from the 1st of January after the harvest
- Colour: pink more or less intense, shining, and with a persistent foam
- Residual sugar: from Brut Nature (totally dry 0-3 g/l RS with no dosage) to Extra Dry (between 12-17 g/l RS)
- The label will have to state the word “Millesimato” and the vintage (minimum of 85% of the grapes from that year)
BRILLA Rosé Prosecco DOC has set a high bar, the Extra Dry style is refreshing and very moreish, without the cloying sensation that can often be detected from Prosecco. I look forward to sampling more Rosé Prosecco DOC.
FEATURED WINES IN THIS REVIEW
BRILLA Rosé Prosecco DOC 2020, ItalySparkling Wine from Italy - VenetoReview Date : 30-Jun-2021Bright, even, pale peach-pink, consistent subtle fine bead. The nose is subtle and soft, nuances of strawberries, peaches melded with a hint of creaminess. Medium-bodied, aromas of strawberries, peaches entwined with lemon sherbet and a little floral, underlined a lightly creamy background. The wine has good depth of flavours and layers, assembled by lush fruit and florals on a lively acid thread. Match this with grilled calamari and tomato base seafood/ pasta over the next 2-3 years. A blend of Glera and Pinot Nero, 11% alc. 18.5/20 pts (93 pts) June 2021 RRP $25