RECENT FEATURES




Gimblett Gravels 2016 Annual Vintage Selection
te Pa Marlborough 2018 Rosé, Sauvignon and Pinot Gris, and 2017 Chardonnay and ‘Oke’
Mount Brown North Canterbury Pinot Gris 2018
Rock Ferry Methode, 3rd Rock, and Marlborough and Central Otago SV Releases
Australian, Spanish and Californian Wines from RM Wine Partners
Blank Canvas Wines from Matt and Sophie Thomson
Fifth Bridge Central Otago 2018 Rosé, and 2017 Pinot Gris, Riesling, Pinot Noir and LH Riesling
Koha Marlborough 2018 Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris, and 2017 Pinot Noir
Providore Central Otago Wines from Peter Bartle
Mission ‘Jewelstone’ Gimblett Gravels Syrah 2016
Fairhall Downs ‘Family Estate’ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2018
Smoking Loon Chardonnay, and McManis Pinot Noir and Petite Sirah from 2017
Kaimira Estate Brightwater Sauvignon Blanc 2016
Grava Martinborough 2017 Rosé and LH Sauvignon Blanc
Stonecroft 2018 ‘Crofters’ and ‘Undressed’, and 2016 ‘Reserve’ Syrahs
South River Central Otago Rosé, Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir
Hawksdrift 2018 Sauvignon Blanc and 2016 Barrel Whites and Single Vineyard Pinot Noir
Elephant Hill Central Otago Pinot Noir 2017
Pa Road 2018 Rosé, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris, and 2017 Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
Spade Oak ‘Voysey’ Hawke’s Bay Syrah 2017
Waiana Estate ‘Indian Summer’ Hawke’s Bay Rosé 2018
Ata Rangi 2013 ‘Craighall’ Riesling, 2017 ‘Crimson’ Pinot Noir, 2015 ‘McCrone’ Pinot Noir and 2018 ‘Kahu’ Botrytis Riesling
Coal Pit Central Otago Sauvignon Blanc 2018
Red Barrel Hawke’s Bay Merlot 2015
Villa Maria ‘Keltern’ Hawke’s Bay Chardonnay 2017
// View More Featured Reviews

Featured Reviews




William Grace Martinborough Pinot Noir 2015

04 December,2017

Planting 1,000 Pinot Noir vines on 0.1 ha of land in New York Street on the Martinborough Terrace in 2009, burgundy wine enthusiast Mark St Clair and his partner Debbie Bowie have created their William Grace wine venture. ‘William Grace’ from the middle names of their children, son James and older sister Emma. The vines are 75% is Abel clone and the remaining 25% clone 115. The vineyard is managed to organic and biodynamic regimes, and with the close planting and viticulture of two canes and one bunch per shoot to ensure low yields. The vineyard yielded its first crop in 2012, and to date only one barrel of wine or just over 20 dozen wine is made annually. The very windy conditions during flowering in 2015 has resulted in only 144 bottles made. The mico-vinification of the William Grace wines is under the care of Paul Mason at Martinborough Vineyard, with inputs from Mark, who has worked vintage there for a number of years. Mark and Paul give considerable thought to the oaking to improve fruit definition. The aims, aspiration and management of the venture make it a fascinating one to follow. Here, I review the new release 2015 vintage wine. I think I am seeing an attractive, elegant and refined style of wine with red fruits and florals emanating from the site with consistency. www.williamgrace.co.nz

FEATURED WINES IN THIS REVIEW



William Grace Martinborough Pinot Noir 2015

Pinot Noir from New Zealand – Wairarapa & Wellington

18-/20

Moderately deep ruby-red colour, a little lighter on the rim. The nose is elegantly presented with fragrant aromas of dark-red berry fruit with subtle nuances of dark herbs and hints of earthy detail, unfolding soft red floral notes. The fruit has purity and builds to form a fine core, Medium-bodfied, the palate has gently sweet and rich fruit flavours of dark-red berry fruit with subtle savoury herb nuances, unveiling red florals and hints of spice. The mouthfeel is supple with fine-grained flowery tannin extraction, and enlivened by fresh, lacy, balanced acidity. The wine carries smoothly along a velvety line leading to a light-fruited, moderately sustained finish. This is a finely presented, sweet, red berry and floral fruited Pinot Noir with a supple, near-velvety palate. Serve with antipasto, poultry and pork over the next 5 years. Fruit from the ‘William Grace’ vineyard on ‘Waihinga Gardens’, fully destemmed and indigenous yeast fermented to 12.8% alc., the wine aged 12 months in a 2 y.o. Francois Frere half-barrel, and bottled without fining or filtration. 12 dozen made. 18.0-/20 Dec 2017 RRP $45.00

Copyright © 2011 Raymond Chan Wine Reviews
Website by DataFlex | Design by Skinny